« Outdoor living | Main | Update - The Second Swimmer »

August 22, 2008



Wow. What an experience. I'm thankful one could be saved.

Your account was much more interesting than the one in the newspaper. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008131042_webshilshole21.html


Wow, what a story....were you able to sleep last night?

Kelly T

as a lifeguard when younger, that triggered the memory of the feeling during an emergency...but this was WAY more critical than my handful of tense moments. I could not help but cry for the the young man that went under. Please post the story when there is an update...wow. And, yeah, did you sleep? I always stayed together during the emergency, but would crumble after, overcome with emotion...

Kelly T

OH...and my brother saved an unconsciousness woman choking at his restaurant he worked at and was not even given a thank you...NOT that it's the reason he did it, but it really shook him up(and he did mouth to mouth with no mask...I mean it was TENSE)...I really hope they do give credit to the Good Samaritan.

tara pollard pakosta

what a brave man.
what a life changing thing to see.

Kay Weaver

I'm hoping you find out the name of the good Samaritan. I'm glad you were able to communicate above the train about the need to check out the one calling for help. I hope you were able to sleep since you didn't do so well the night before.

Your chair pictures are great! At first I thought them comical but they are so unique that they are eye-catching. You really got some good family shots. I think they will be pleased.


Just came here from myballard, what an amazing story - I can't imagine what that must've been like for everyone on the beach!

I hope you're able to find out the name of the paddle surfer.


You are one of the heroes of this story, too. If you hadn't encouraged those people to call 911 or convinced the paddle surfer to go back out to the buoy to look, the rescued man might still be out there.

You did a great job with the photos considering the lighting challenge! Thanks for posting!

I didn't go down to Golden Gardens last night because I knew there would be enough chaos already, but I listened to the incident from the very beginning on my scanner. It's really interesting to read your first hand account - it's like hearing the other side of the 911 call.

At one point fire thought it was a false alarm and told incoming units to reduce the response to "code yellow." At that point there were already quite a number of emergency vehicles on the scene, so I don't think it actually hurt anything. Then they heard about the paddle surfer and his passenger and it was quickly bumped back up to "code red."

I heard the conversation between the medics transporting the swimmer to the "Medic One Doctor" at Harborview. That was how I heard that the swimmer was inebriated and hypothermic. They also warned the doctor that another patient might be coming. Sadly, it sounds like he never made it to shore.

The device that the police and Coast Guard were using to look for the swimmers is actually a "Thermal Imager." They seem to work really well and are used by the fire department to locate humans and hot spots in house fires. They had something like 4 of the things in use last night.

Thanks again for writing such a complete account of what happened. I would guess that you're going to be telling this story a lot in the coming days. People need to talk about things like this. It will help you process it.

Take care,

- Silver

John Lindblom

Hello Ms. Brown,

I was there on the beach as well, and spoke with you after you had sent the paddle boarder out (I was with a friend, a Chinese woman). Thank God you were there and acted. You also played a critical role in saving one man's life. The survivor also owes you a huge debt of gratitude.

I'm so glad the man made the phone call, at your urging. Make sure your son someday hears that his mom is a hero. God bless you.



Thank you for taking the step to investigate, urging the people with a cell phone to place the 911 call and going further by calling out to the paddle surfer. Your alert concern saved a life. You (yourself, the family with the cell phone and the paddle surfer) should all be commended for your actions. If you ever come to a crisis in your life and feel self doubt, remember this and know that you have already made a real difference in the world - something you can (and probably will) do again. And thank you for sharing your experience through your blog.

Sam Day

I swim at Golden Gardens two or three times a week, in the early mornings. I wear a wet suit, unless I'm just diving in with the dog. I'm a middle aged masters swimmer, really not very fast. But I have swum Alcatraz, so I figure I'm not a novice. Since no one my speed wants to join me, I swim alone. My course is just laps between the fishing pier on the south and the point at the north. I stay within 25 yards of the shore. I have always wanted to swim to the buoy, but I figured there would be current out there. Just looking at the land masses and the shape of the beach, I wouldn't be surprised if two currents converge there. And they wouldn't be headed for shore. In other words, I wouldn't try to swim to that buoy without an escort boat. If its less than a 2 mph current, I could do it, but it would be a hard sprint coming back. If its a 3 mph current, a collegiate or fast high school swimmer could do it. But without at least a paddleboarder beside them, they shouldn't. I'll bet even Lynne Cox would think twice about it.

The comments to this entry are closed.

My Web Site

  • Emily Weaver Brown Photography
    Emily Weaver Brown Photography


  • receive and email when this blog is updated

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner